Skip to main content

Brew #2: Toasty Olive Oil Ale




This Christmas was the first in a awhile where I didn't receive any gifts that were beer or homebrew related but like any good homebrewer I made something from nothing.  My wife thought it would be fun to get me a giant tub of Tapioca Maltodextrin so I could play around with making different powders at dinner time.  This sparked an idea, what if I added one of these powders to beer? 

There's already some good ways of adding chocolate and peanut butter so I figured that I'd try adding some olive oil.  It's fruity and bitter and at least it would help with oxygenation of the wort if all else fails.  Adding oil to beer is disgusting and has many negative effects such as poor head retention and increased rate of spoilage but maybe the maltodextrin will help in some way. 

For this recipe I wanted to create something toasty for the olive oil to complement.  Using some biscuit malt for a some light toasty biscuit flavor, a fair amount of wheat to help with head retention and a small bit of Carafa II to add a slight hint of roast and color.  The Saison yeast was chosen to add some peppery spice notes.  The one hop charge was kept as a neutral bittering hop with no aroma hops.  I'm hoping that this will allow some of the Olive Oil aroma to come through.  Two ounces of olive oil were mixed with enough tapioca maltodextrin to form a powder.  It was pulsed in a food processor then added to primary.

Primary fermentation started within a couple of hours and the airlock has continued steadily bubbling for about a week and half.  The olive oil powder dissolved back into oil but it's hard to tell if any stayed in powder form due to the krausen.  I'll give this a taste in a week or two and see if it needs any more olive oil or maybe a touch of herbs or spices.
Recipe: Toasty Olive Oil Ale
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 1.85 gal
Post Boil Volume: 1.30 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 1.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 13.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                                          
75%    Pale Malt (2 Row) US        
5.0 %   Biscuit Malt
7.5%   Wheat Malt
10.%   Cane Sugar           
2.4%   Carafa Special II 

26.6 IBUs      Warrior [15.00 %] - 60.0 min

1.0 pkg            WLP Belgian Saison I Ale
2.00 oz            Olive Oil Powder (Primary)

Mash at 148 for 60 minutes.
Add maltodextrin to 2 oz of Olive Oil and pulse in food processor until powdery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brew #5: Meyer Lemon Berliner Weisse

My body craves whatever is not in season so it led me to a nice refreshing Berliner Weisse in the middle of winter. After a previous attempt I did some internet research and talked to some other homebrewers that have had success with the style.  It seemed that the quickest way to get a nice balance of sour was to sour mash.  The problem with sour mashing is that introducing oxygen into the mash can result in some unappetizing vomit flavors.  I read that someone had great success mashing in a corny keg and purging with carbon dioxide but I didn't want to introduce any bacteria in my kegs (not yet at least!). It struck me one night while reading a cookbook that I should mash in a sous vide sort of way.  After brainstorming I figured out that I could get a big ziploc bag (5 gallon) and put the wort in it at 110 degrees F with a handful of unmilled pilsner malt to introduce the Lactobacillus.  I put the ziploc bag into an igloo cooler filled with 110F water (filled from my tankless w

Brew 8 & 9 - Big Brews: Barley Wine & Wee Heavy

Having little kids around can make it difficult to get to the local hombrew shop so I devised a plan to have my wife pick up ingredients for me while she runs errands.  The first time  I kept it simple and asked for some yeast, hops and an airlock and she succeeded.  The second time I threw in a grain bill for my Export Stout and and a Witbier.  When she arrived home I asked why she only had one small bag (remember these are 1 gallon batches) of grain, she said the other was to big to carry.  This had me worried since it contained only slightly more than a pound of grain. When I went to the car there was a huge (five gallon batch size) bag of milled grain.  I checked the receipt and found that she purchased 13 lbs of base malt instead of 13 oz for the Witbier.  Since the goal for this year is to experiment I figured this was chance to brew some really big beers. The big sack of grain included: 13 lbs Two Row Malt 10 oz Flaked Wheat 7 oz   White Wheat 1 oz   Acidulated malt F

Brew #6: Pale Stout

Back in around August '13 I began thinking of finding new ways to extract flavor from brewing ingredients.  An interesting thought came to me and I was obsessed with finding a way to get the flavor from something without taking its color.  Immediately the thought of a pale stout was bouncing excitedly in my skull. After some internet research about pale stouts it appeared that it wasn't a new thing but it seemed like nobody had done one using the same ingredients as a true dark stout.  It looked as if everybody was using coffee as a substitute for the roasted grain.  This led me to start looking for ways to clarify coffee.  I figured if coffee could be clarified then grains could be too, especially since the process of steeping grains is similar to brewing coffee.  This blog post from super barista James Hoffman about clarifying coffee using iced gelatin filtration made me believe that a pale roasted stout could happen. For my first attempt I used the recipe for the milk s