Skip to main content

Brew 8 & 9 - Big Brews: Barley Wine & Wee Heavy

Having little kids around can make it difficult to get to the local hombrew shop so I devised a plan to have my wife pick up ingredients for me while she runs errands.  The first time  I kept it simple and asked for some yeast, hops and an airlock and she succeeded.  The second time I threw in a grain bill for my Export Stout and and a Witbier.  When she arrived home I asked why she only had one small bag (remember these are 1 gallon batches) of grain, she said the other was to big to carry.  This had me worried since it contained only slightly more than a pound of grain.

When I went to the car there was a huge (five gallon batch size) bag of milled grain.  I checked the receipt and found that she purchased 13 lbs of base malt instead of 13 oz for the Witbier.  Since the goal for this year is to experiment I figured this was chance to brew some really big beers.

The big sack of grain included:

13 lbs Two Row Malt
10 oz Flaked Wheat
7 oz   White Wheat
1 oz   Acidulated malt

For the two recipes that follow just take the amount of grain I used and guess assume the proportions stayed the same.  For oxygenation I just spun these two brews and created a vortex for a good long minute.

The 1st batch turned into a simple English Style Barley Wine with 5.1 lbs of grain.  The OG came out at 1.120 after a 160 minute boil.  It was really surprising how dark the wort became just from boiling for 3 hours.  I added 145 IBU's worth of EKG at 60 minutes since I was trying to make something similar to the J.W.'s Harvest Ale mentioned in the IPA book by Mitch Steele.

This batch maxed out my BIAB system with the water level reaching about a 1/4" below the top of the kettle.  Stirring the mash was slow and steady.  The long boil also resulted in my 1st boilover.  Since most of my batches have had so much headspace in the kettle I wasn't paying to close of attention during the boil until I heard the sizzle of the boilover meeting my stove.

The second batch of beer was a Wee Heavy that used 4.7 lbs of grain plus 4 oz of left over black roasted barley steep water.  I mashed at 154 and boiled down 4 cups of the wort to a thick syrup (really thick!) and added it back to the boil.  This brew had 27 IBU's of EKG at 60 minutes and 2 IBU's of EKG at 10 minutes.

I washed some Safale 04 yeast from a Southern English Brown (Brew #7) and split it three ways for the two batches.  The recipe for J.W.'s Harvest said to repitch some yeast after a couple of days so the third batch of yeast was used for that.  Fermentation for both took off and stayed in the low to mid 60's the entire 1st week.

If you did some calculating you'll see that I still have about 3 lbs of grain left over which I'm going to use to brew two Session IPA's for some hop experiments.  These would have been brewed already but I ran out of airlocks.  I'll admit that it's a problem that's good to have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brew #5: Meyer Lemon Berliner Weisse

My body craves whatever is not in season so it led me to a nice refreshing Berliner Weisse in the middle of winter. After a previous attempt I did some internet research and talked to some other homebrewers that have had success with the style.  It seemed that the quickest way to get a nice balance of sour was to sour mash.  The problem with sour mashing is that introducing oxygen into the mash can result in some unappetizing vomit flavors.  I read that someone had great success mashing in a corny keg and purging with carbon dioxide but I didn't want to introduce any bacteria in my kegs (not yet at least!). It struck me one night while reading a cookbook that I should mash in a sous vide sort of way.  After brainstorming I figured out that I could get a big ziploc bag (5 gallon) and put the wort in it at 110 degrees F with a handful of unmilled pilsner malt to introduce the Lactobacillus.  I put the ziploc bag into an igloo cooler filled with 110F water (filled from my tankless w

Brew #6: Pale Stout

Back in around August '13 I began thinking of finding new ways to extract flavor from brewing ingredients.  An interesting thought came to me and I was obsessed with finding a way to get the flavor from something without taking its color.  Immediately the thought of a pale stout was bouncing excitedly in my skull. After some internet research about pale stouts it appeared that it wasn't a new thing but it seemed like nobody had done one using the same ingredients as a true dark stout.  It looked as if everybody was using coffee as a substitute for the roasted grain.  This led me to start looking for ways to clarify coffee.  I figured if coffee could be clarified then grains could be too, especially since the process of steeping grains is similar to brewing coffee.  This blog post from super barista James Hoffman about clarifying coffee using iced gelatin filtration made me believe that a pale roasted stout could happen. For my first attempt I used the recipe for the milk s